Carnarc Point (Cairn Airc)
Carnarc point is on the western bank and the final piece of dry land which the river passes as it runs into the Beauly Firth. The point is at the end of a narrow strip of land about 300 yards long with a gorse bordered path leading to a beacon at the end. From here it is only about 665 yards to the beacon at Craigton point on the opposite shore of the Beauly Firth. To the west is the ferry terminal from and to which the ferry used to sail between North and South Kessock before the Kessock bridge was completed. This suspension bridge forms part of the A9 and is an imposing, though by no means ugly, structure to the north-west of the point.
The point gets its name from the Gaelic Cairn Airc "The Cairn of the Sea". There is, or was, a large cairn here, though the cairn is apparently now below the high tide mark. There are another three cairns due west, now submerged in the Beauly Firth. One of these was found to contain some urns - either the land sank or the sea level has risen.
GROOME, FRANCES H.ed., 1903. Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland. New edition. London: The Caxton Publishing Company.
MACLAGAN, CHRISTIAN, 1875. The hill forts, stone circles and other structural remains of ancient Scotland.Edinburgh: Edmonston and Douglas.