Friars bridge takes its name from the nearby site of the Dominican Friary. The friars in 1233 were granted a piece of land by Alexander II stretching from Chapel Street to the river. This is quite a large area, the most dominant building there now being the BT exchange.
Friars bridge is the most substantial bridge spanning the Ness carrying two lanes of traffic in each direction, it was opened in 1986.
POLLIT. A. GERALD, ca. 1980. Historic Inverness. Perth: The Melven Press.