The first quay in Inverness, the Shore Street Quay was built in 1675, running 540 feet northwards along Shore street from where the Railway bridge is now. A tax on ale and beer was levied in order to pay primarily for the rebuilding the parish church and secondarily for improvements to the harbour in 1718. The tax was one sixth of a penny for every pint either brewed in Inverness or brought in from elsewhwere. Enough money was raised from this that a new quay was built, the Citadel Quay, 674 feet long which opened in 1738.
A further quay was opened on the opposite bank in 1815, the Thornbush Quay, which was 512 feet long. In 1977 another quay, 328 feet long was opened to the north of the Citadel Quay, the Longman Quay.
Inverness was noted for shipbuilding since medieval times. As early as 1087 substantial vessels were being built, one from this year becoming flagship of the Venetian navy.1
In 1249, Hugh de Chastillion, Earl of St. Paul accompanied Louis IX to the crusades on a ship built by his orders in Inverness.2
Through the centuries various kinds of ship were built in Inverness including the frigate built by Cromwell's men to sail Loch Ness.
POLLIT. A. GERALD, ca. 1980. Historic Inverness. Perth: The Melven Press.